"Star" Student

Good morning, once again I'm in my four season room enjoying a cup of coffee and listening to the birds waking up.  A humming bird is already hitting on the feeder and chasing the others away.  I have two feeders available to them.  I think I'd like to add another, there are about 8 or so that fuss over the two feeders though out the day.

One of the things I want to accomplish as part of my quilting business is teaching others to quilt.  Not in a big group setting but one on one.  I want to teach those who would like to learn how to quilt the basic to help them get started.   I was pretty much self taught.  Learning though trial and err.... still learning.  I would have loved to have had a teacher in the beginning that would teach me how to cut, how important that 1/4" inch seam is, and believe it or not the importance of pressing properly.

One of my students is Joyce she wanted to learn to quilt for a long time and the time was right for her and myself.  She has now completed her 5th quilt.  Not only is she learning to quilt the tops but has been working on learning to quilt them her self and has learned to bind them to.  I'm very proud of her and enjoy her excitement.

This is her quilt #5 I believe she has named it "The Stars Among Us".  


Joyce's daughter is another one of my students.  She is making a what I call a crumb cake quilt, taking fabric out of my little snippets of fabric I've collected over time.  Amy's mom and other family members have also contributed to her crumb cake quilt that she is naming "My Hobo Quilt."  We cut out 10" squares of fusible interfacing and Amy would pick out and layout the fabric snippets and then fuse them down.  Creating a raw edge quilt.  Amy has worked on this for several months and is now starting to sew them together after they were squared up.  I love it!  She is already talking about making another.  I am looking forward to trying to make a crumb cake quilt one day my self, I have plenty of crumbs.



 My granddaughter also known as my mini me was over this past weekend.  Alexandria and Madison have both joined Cub Scouts, yep girls do that now and I love it.  Alex needed patches sewn onto her scout uniform and instead of doing it for her I used it as a chance to teach her to sew them on herself. She did a good job those things are not the easiest to sew on.




Busy weekend ahead for me, quilting, go to a auction, quilting, go to a quilt club I joined called Material Girls, (yes I belong to a couple of different ones and have a group I'm starting up myself remember.... quilting is my passion) quilting, and hope to catch up with my sister this weekend and have some sissy time.


Hope you get some time to quilt, sew, or just do something you love this weekend.  If you could would you please leave me comment and sign up for updates.

Have a quilty day!

Tina Jennings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AND DONE!

SEW EXCITED>>>

Quilt Friend shout out!